Sunday, December 04, 2005

Capoeira


The filles had a tae kwon do demonstration at the Y on Friday. They were great but I am sad to say I did not bring my camera.

The Angel finished her form... a bit behind since all the children performed their form at the same time so it was an interesting hodgepodge of movement and sound in the room. The Angel got confused (as did many of the kids) but she wiseless started all over again. The only problem? She was the last one done. Both my girls broke their boards in virtually record time. Imelda on the first kick. The Angel on her second. In fact only one little girl failed to break her board. She was heartbroken and then to add insult to injury her grandmother (her legal guardian) bitched her out in public.

After the demonstration there was a demonstration of Tai Chi which as an old saggy broad I am excited to find out will be offered at the Y. The instructor clearly loves it. The kids were a bit fidgety which I can understand as it is a quieter art. At the end of his demonstration he invited members of the audience up to give the art a test run. Since I am looking forward to the beginning of these classes I and my friend Sydney went up with a bunch of the kids. There was an emphasis on breathing and posture like you get with yoga of which I have done some. As he talked us through the slow motions I felt compelled to close my eyes (mostly so I wouldn't see the kids fidgeting and my husband smirking). When we finished I was suprised to find my fingers feeling like electricity was shooting from their ends... I am REALLY looking forward to this.

Finally, there was a capoeira demonstration. THIS the kids loved. Capoeira is an afro-brazilian art that was created by african slaves. The art had to be practiced in secret because the slave owners would clearly object. So the practioners created the art in the form of a dance. A deadly give and take that had its own instruments and music. It is amazing to watch and the demonstrators asked for volunteers.

EVERY child ran up and they LOVED it. Imelda has been asking for weeks if she could take the class. We checked but it was supposed to be an adult class. We asked her tkd instructor who said what we could ask the capoeira instructor. Imelda was entranced. She was sooo taken with it. After the demonstration she asked if she could take the class and was granted permission. This should be a very good choice for her. Not only is there music and dancing involved. There is also a wild level of activity that should encourage to shake her sweet booty. But for Imelda purposes there is something even better.... accessories! WHEE!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://tljnmfqq.com/hyup/eqxx.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ioueatgr.com/bymo/oxiq.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://tljnmfqq.com/hyup/eqxx.html | http://ruipnqks.com/jntb/ubuv.html