Monday, January 16, 2006

HELP!

Does anyone have a good book for a preteen that talks about therrible fates that can befall a young girl who doesn't let her mother know where she is?

The Angel was allowed to go to a friends house. She was supposed to call when she got there. Then she and her friend were supposed to be taken to the park by the girl's father. Imelda and I were planning a walk to the park, I told her I would walk her over... No... she insisted. She wanted to go with her friend.

So, with some trepidation, I let her go.

15 minutes later... No call.

So, Imelda and I packed up our goofy pooch, Cinnamon and left for the park, figuring the Angel had just been in too much of a hurry to get to the park. So we had a lovely walk... a little more than 1/2 a mile and when we arrived at the the Park..... NO ANGEL. I even sent Imelda into the field house to see if perhaps her sister had gone in to the bathroom. Still nothing.

So Imelda and I headed back the way we came. We changed our directions to walk past the Angel's friend's house. What did we find there? The Angel. Playing.

Why didn't she call? Her firefly phone was out of battery. Duh! She never charges the thing. Not exactly a shocker. But why didn't she call from her friend's phone... well apparently this fille's mobile is equally dead. OK... But why not the land line? Oh, well, no one thought of that. Clever wenches, eh?

So I made her come with me. She of course, is angry. I am to quote her, "RUINING HER LIFE!!!!!" Bite me! THAT is MY job.

So far, I am considering making her read at least the beginning of The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold and making her watch a viewing of Smooth Talk, which is probably the creepiest movie that I have ever seen (and for some reason, I forgot the story was about Joyce Carol Oates a great writer from my hometown of Lockport, NY).

Any other suggestions would be welcome. I am just not as up on my teenage tragedy novels as I used to be... This really isn't a case for Go Ask Alice, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret, or Forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Take her to the cemetary and drive through slowly, pointing out all the graves of young girls abducted by strangers until she bursts into tears and swears to never leave the house again.
That is how my parents clued me in on the dangers of drug use and heaven knows it worked for me.

Wait, maybe this isn't a good idea. There must be something on lifetime about this, with Markie Post and Tracey Gold circa '87

Jim
www.onegayatatime.com