Thursday, March 08, 2007

Grrrrr

I think that the corollary to the adage, "The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world" should be "She who controls the remote rules the house".

And I had control.

It was necessary. See when the kids can pick up the remote, the next thing you know the dulcet tones of themes from "Fairly Odd Parents", "Phil of the Future", "Sponge Bob Square Pants" "Hannah Montana", "Drake and Josh" or "Zoey 101" fill my house. Children don't listen. Chores don't get done. Bitching and moaning ensues.

So I did what I needed to. I took the remote and I password protected every remotely cartoony/teenyboppery/tweeny channel. What can the family watch with impunity? The Learning Channel... The Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, PBS. Hey! My kids will watch those. I once caught the Angel completely absorbed in a show about cartography. (hehe... perhaps my geekish tendencies eventually catch up with her.) They can watch their shows when I agree. HA! CONTROL!

Of course, I also know that the chain of command is only as strong as its weakest link. And who is that link? Fun Daddy. That is why for a long time he did not have the code. I used to joke with him that he would roll over at 7 am some Saturday and give it to the kids without thinking...

Finally, a couple of weeks ago I broke down. Gave him the code. Just so I could go to the bathroom in peace occasionally. He is 43 years old. He should be responsible enough at this point, right?

WRONG.

Would you believe that he gave Imelda the code? LET HER WRITE IT DOWN!

I know he was upset... The Angel was sick and he had to come and help me with her... but he could have given the code to my mother!

What's worse? He never mentioned it to me.

Yesterday, as things were settled down, I noticed Imelda entering in the heretofore secret code in herself. "How are you doing that?" I asked her. She gave me that impish look and giggled... "Daddy gave it to me." And she and her sister proceeded to laugh in a "See how we pulled one over on the old cow" kind of manner.....

So, humiliation, disrespect, undermined authority are what I get. Again.

All I can say, is that I hope he stays out of town until I cool down. Grrrrrrr

4 comments:

Willow said...

Ooh, I recently dealt with a similar thing. I had a meeting a few days ago and left the children in TFB's care. He knows they're on a "no tv" deal right now. Every time they sneak tv, their week restriction starts over.

I left instructions to get done the daily chores they're responsible for, and that I'd check them when I got home.

Guess what they did all night. Instead of spending quality time with his children he said he "snuggled" with them - which means he let them watch tv all night long. Were the chores done? NO.

He complains that when I ground the kids from TV he gets grounded, too. I said, "no, that's why we have a tv in our room, and a lock on the door. If you simply can't live without the tv the entire two hours you're up while they are too, then go in the bedroom and watch."

Bastard.

Unknown said...

I would be pissed too if someone rpevented me from watching Spongebob or Fairly Odd Parents, too.........or Jimmy Neutron, while we're at it......


LOLOLOLOL ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey MdF - check out Chikka's comment - LOCK ON THE BEDROOM DOOR! :)

seriously, we've been fussing at Fun Daddy for several years now on this, I can't believe he gave Imelda the passcode. SIgh...

Did you change it again? And if you did, and ever feel the urge to break down and give it to him, call me and I'll talk you off the ledge!

Maman said...

Oh please... I know I prolly sounded brain dead when we spoke the other day, but I assure... it is still working.. I switched it immediately! Now Imelda thinks that she is knows two of the numbers from the new code... but frankly I have hundreds of 'em... old addresses, birthdates, random days of the year...