Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I don't know why I can't stop blogging today

But this made me cry...yeah... I am a goof like that. I think that we are lucky to have this young (like 25-26 year old) woman teaching my children....

August 2008
Dear Homeroom:

Welcome back! I hope all of you had a fun summer, and got to spend lots of time relaxing, catching up on sleep, and hanging out with your friends and family. I missed you all!

Now, maybe some of you are thinking: ·What did Miss P. do this summer or, if you're Frieda, you're asking yourself: -How many times did Miss P. read our orange grammar book this summer?- The answer to Frieda's question is 23,489 times (just kidding!), but the answer to the second question is that I got organized. While doing that. I stumbled upon an old letter that my high school chemistry teacher wrote to us on the last day of class. Now even though science was always my hardest subject, after all this time, her letter was so meaningful that it's one of the few
pieces of paper that survived from my four years of high school. In it, she told us how proud she was of our class and explained how we had accomplished many things she hod hoped we would...and re-reading it gave me an idea. Instead of sharing my thoughts with you at the end of the year, I thought I would tell you now, so that you have a whole year to think about it and do what you want with it.
You and I share a bond that's unique to any other teacher/class in the school: We started junior high together. I was a brand-new teacher, and you were brand-new to this side of the building. While the other teachers were calling me the 'young one' and helping me find my way, I lovingly dubbed you 'my sixth-grade babies' and helped you find your way. We got through our bubble maps, scantrons, and Roll of Thunder together. Now, in June, I will be sending my sixth-grade babies off to high school and you can't be those babies anymore! It's time to be young adults and I want you to be ready.
So, how are we going to get you ready for all that lies ahead? With hard work. Taking
responsibility. Respecting each other. Asking questions AND listening to the answers. If each one of you puts forth your best effort and does the best that you con in everything that comes your way this year, be it classwork, sports, friendships, or after-school activities, then I promise that each of you will be more than ready to walk out this door, not as my babies, but as kind and intelligent young adults who can add something good to our world. Growing into those people is my wish for you this year!
Now, some of you might be thinking: "But, doesn't Miss P. want us to memorize every preposition in the English language?" or "Doesn't she want me to get an A on every Vocab test? The answer to those questions is, of course! You know I love English, but, more than the individual grades, the homework assignments, and daily notes, what I want for each of you to do is take this eighth-grade year and soak up everything you can. Soak up the knowledge from your teachers. Soak up the memories of school dances, field trips, and graduation. Soak up everything you can, because it's when you do all of that that you will achieve what I want you to do: TO BE READY.

Love,

Miss P.

No comments: