Friday, January 06, 2006

We Will Return After This Short Commercial Break

Not really a commercial...

More of a Public Service Announcement.

I want to let folks know that my fellow Mommy blogger and tae kwon do mom, The Goober Queen, is participating in a very worthy cause. She and her daughter, the ass-kicking Kasha, will be breaking boards WITH THEIR BARE FEET to raise money for Buffalo's Women's and Children's Hospital. Goob, very eloquently, describes her deep appreciation for this institution which has helped her younger fille, Emmie Lou Who who has asthma, in a post in December.

I am in Chicago, but grew up in the Buffalo area (GO LOCKPORT LIONS!) where my brother was a frequent "guest" at what was then known as just Children's Hospital. It was not asthma that got my brother treated there, but Cystic Fibrosis. Children's was the regional center for CF in Western New York (or the Niagara Frontier, as I prefer to call it). My brother was diagnosed when he was a month old, which at the time (1972)was amazing. Most kids had to fail to thrive for years before someone stumbled onto the truth. Luckily (NOT) my brother aspirated his own urine and developed pneumonia which he couldn't shake. That was how he was diagnosed. He was sent to Children's Hospital and placed under the care of Erika Bruck, M.D. who worked with him until he recovered and began to thrive. After Dr. Bruck semi-retired (she is still a professor emeritus at UB Medical School) his case was followed by Dr. Gerd Cropp. Dr. Cropp, who has since moved on to the University of California at San Francisco, was P.J.'s last doctor. The day before he died, I sat with him as my folks went to get some lunch. When they came back, they had Dr. Cropp with them and found me cying and holding P.J.'s hand. Dr. Cropp pulled me from the room and hugged my as I continued to cry.

Children's Hospital is a special place filled with special people.

That is why I have pledged my support for the Kick for Life Board Breakathon. Goob and Kasha and the rest of their dojang will be breaking 5,000 boards on January 28th. To donate to the cause, please go to Goob's blog and click the "Make a Donation" button. By doing so, you will be helping kids like Kasha's sister, Emmie Lou Who, my brother and thousands of other children who are treated at Women's and Children's Hospital.

Thank you for your support.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gretchen,
Well. I am crying with my morning coffee. I was fortunate enough to have known PJ and to have seen the amazing amount of love in your family. PJ was never your "sick brother" he was your brother and happened to be sick. I have always admired that, although my fuller awareness didn't come until adulthood.
Thank you for your post, and the link. As a little kid with lots of bronchitis I spent a great deal of time at Childrens, it is a special place. Former babysitters, and Lockport natives Gradi and Heidi Kelleher are both nurses there. I will head to the link and give.
Love to all,

Jim
one gay at a time

I sign because I can never remember my blogger password

Maman said...

Kisses Jim!

You are the greatest. I think it was my mom's strength that kept us treating P.J. as normally as possible. His life may have been short, but it was as full as it could be, something a lot of CF kids to this day don't get.

The Goober Queen and I both thank you!
G

Willow said...

Aw thanks for the shout out Gretchen. We really appreciate it.

It's gonna be so cool!

Maman said...

My pleasure Kris! Like I told you, I feel a connection to that hospital...

zohar said...

Hello Maman,
Participating your sorrow.
I live in Israel and I need some help:
Professor Erika Bruck whom you mentioned above, is my aunt.She lives alone in North Boston,5486 Allen Drive Hamburg NY.
For years I had telephone conection with her. Lastly I can't have any conection, and she didn't answer my letters.
As she is quite old, may be she needs some help?
Can you call the social service of her neighborhood and ask them if they know about her?
pls, if you can, inform me to my e-mail: grandpa.zohar@yahoo.com
forgive me interupting you,
tnx,
Zohar Cohen