Friday, May 12, 2006

It isn't all bad

Just so I don't sound like everything is bad...

We went to the Sport Banquet at school yesterday. It was a lovely dinner (Browns Chicken, I think) and the Angel picked up two pins for competing on both the volleyball and basketball teams.

But for me, the best part was during the volleyball presentation. As I think I mentioned, Imelda, on several occassions, would get called out of the stands to fill in on the team on those mornings that all of the girls couldn't pull their heinies out of bed. After a while, Imelda just would make sure she was dressed in her gym uniform and her sneakers, just in case. Was she a team player, or what?

Coach Maria called the official team members up for their pins. Then she stopped and said, "We would also like to honor a brave 4th grader who came out of the stands on a number of occasions to help the team out". Then she called Imelda up and gave her a volleyball pin too. As if she had been a regular member of the team.

It was so wonderful. Imelda's eyes were shining with excitement and pride at her award and the applause.

I want to focus on that today.

No comments: