Saturday, July 01, 2006

Criminy


What a flipping week.

Sure it seemed like it was going to be easy.

HA!

First my friend, Richard's Mom died. She was a great lady, loved her husband, her kids and her church (Nazarene). Overcame steep obstacles more often with humor than not. I was glad to know her and think the world is a sadder place for her loss. I am including picture of her and her oldest son, my friend, Richard.

Then on Sunday, we dropped the kids off to camp. French camp with the kids from their old school... It is wonderful, just like old home week. The parents catch up, although some of them we still see occasionally. The kids, well, the girls anyway chatter excitedly trying to get rid of us as quickly s possible. This year it ws funny because all the parents of the Angel's friends did a double take when they saw her. Something about her growing about 6 inches in the last year and getting boobs. One of the moms, who is very beautiful and very elegant looks more like her mother than I do. I never thought of that before I saw the two of them together....

This year on the way home from camp drop off, Fun Daddy and I did NOT accidentally drive into an open air drug market while trying to follow a detour on the south side of Chicago. (super fun for you adventurous sorts, but not truly recommended) although this year we did almost get clipped off by a van driven by of all things, the organ donation network. Only good things can happen from here, right?

Well, we did have cheap beer to take home and Harold's Fried Chicken, from our favorite chicken shack in Hyde Park.... sadly, the chicken is packed all wrong now. It should be bread first, then fries, then chicken and finally all available sauces. In the old days, you could tell them to make it swim in it (taught to me by the intrepid Chicagoan, Zoe Tritsis, who may or may not still be a refugee from her adopted New Orleans) but usually they get cheap now and charge you extra (blahhhhh). The order is important so that when you get about halfway through the fries you can feast on the finally delicacy of the experience... the french fry sandwich that allows you to suck up the remaining crunchy tidbits, grease, fries and sauce in one relatively tidy and yummy little package.

Oh, and the Hyde Park Co-op, which used to be Mr. G's market is unlike EITHER anymore. I wonder what happened to young Mr. G? We all used to have crushes on him in the '80s.

Hmmmm, feels like I have been writing forever... and I am still only up to Sunday. I guess I will have to continue tomorrow....

No comments: