Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Six Wineries, A Centennial and a Funeral

It kinda sounds like a movie title, doesn't it?

Well it isn't... it is my month so far.

As mentioned early, I went to my grandmother's birthday party at the beginning of the month. Well, while I was out east I and Fun Daddy and my Dad managed to visit six wineries on the Niagara Escarpment.... yup. That's right... my hometown is now the Napa Valley of Western New York...

Chicka?! How could you fail to mention this development to me? Dang girl!

Naturally we had to partake to the fullest. And I have posted all about it. Just on Vinoverve. Enjoy the posts, really... Fun Daddy is bugging me about readership there...

So... let's see... that was six wineries...

A Centennial is Nanny, obviously. And it was a blast. Of course, like every good celebration in my family, mass was involved. And wow, do we fill a church. Imelda served yet again. This year, though, instead of shadowing another alter server, she filled in for real.. yeah, just like at our church, someone always forgets that they are serving... and the third kid failed to show. So Imelda had to work her away around the alter blindly. But she managed. Because she is a trooper.. A trooper for Christ... (please God, don't strike me dead... I am just trying to amuse my readers.. please?) My cousin, Lisa and Mike's kids brought up the gifts and then, following instructions from Father Joe, went and gave Gram a hug. I think he knows she keeps saying she doesn't want a fuss... and we all know that is just crazy talk.

After mass, we had a lovely reception for the entire community in the church hall. It was hysterical... The Mayor of Lockport or his minion anyway, read a proclamation from the City Council pronouncing October 1, 2007, Celia Beran Day. (he might have said Currie... I am in a mind haze). My Aunt Judy and Uncle Ron were there... as was my cousin Carol and her brood. I haven't seen them in a million years. (Judy and Ron were each individually the best friends of my parents and managed to introduce them... Holy cripes!) My cousin Loretta was there... she took dancing lessons with the evil Margo and I.... she was adorable as always... and her little girl ran like hell around the Church during mass... she was as sweet as co u ld be... only Loretta's daughter could manage to run around all the pews and not interrupt the service with peals of laughter... if you heard any? That was me... But then remember as a toddler I once turned off all the lights in the church.... I have a different way of looking at things....

Ok... This post is amazingly long, so this will need another part... To Be Continued!


Oh, and as a note? Hi Jen! The only cousin that I know who reads this blog! Love you babe!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gretchen, thanks for the shout-out! love you too!
-Jen