Saturday, January 12, 2008

They won't take ME by surprise!

(photo: Capri: The wine-dark sea at early evening by Al, via Picasa)

Ever since my first year college room mate, Zoe Anastasia Tritsis taught me the proper way to order Greek food in a Greek restaurant and the waiter asked me if I spoke Greek, I have always wanted to be able to answer a resounding, "Yes!"

It has taken a while, but now at the ripe old age of almost 42, I am beginning my quest. For Christmas I asked for a subscription to Rosetta Stone to learn the modern version of the language of Homer, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle and all of those old dead white guys (tell that to the Homeland Security) that I read in elementary school, junior high, senior high and college.

Someday, I hope to be lying naked on a beach, drinking wine and looking out into the wine dark sea and understand that they are coming for me when I hear them yell:

Ωχ Θεου! Μια φαλαινα πεθαινει στην παραλια. Γιατι ειναι το κρασι
(Oh dear God! A whale is dying on the beach. Why is it drinking wine?)

Until that time I will content myself knowing that:

Ενα αγορι και ενα κοριτσι σε μια βαρκα
(A boy and a girl in a boat)

Sad.... it isn't even a full sentence yet. sigh.

No comments: