Monday, August 25, 2008

Schobermesse

I know, I know you are asking, "What is a Schobermesse?"

I was asking the same thing last week or so...

And then Fun Daddy revealed one of those nuggets of his childhood that was hidden away... It is an old Luxembourger tradition... it is the Harvest Festival. And he has been to them before. And better yet? There was one being held near our house.

You could have knocked me over with a feather.

But here we are at the Schobermesse with my girls and Drina, who was mistaken for my third daughter... (Man would THAT have been a busy couple of years!)

Now that I have been to one, I have learned some things...

a. Holy Hell! Luxembourgers are very similar. They all have a need to micro-manage or as they would say, "supervise" their families

b. They all believe in family and community and keeping their culture alive

c. and wow! they love to organize into groups... in fact, no less than three sections of the Luxembourg Brotherhood are recruiting Fun Daddy for their section... He and I, both felt overwhelmed by kindness and offers of friendship.

Oh, and as an extra bonus... we got to drink Luxembourger wine too!

No comments: