Tuesday, March 10, 2009

TV Obsession

Yes, it is dark.

But I am liking dark comedy right now. Hell, I have teenager daughters! My life is a dark comedy.

So naturally, I am enjoying Breaking Bad on AMC.

I could hardly believe it when my friend Matt told me about this show last year mostly because I kept thinking of AMC as the place to watch The Gay Divorcee, when I was in the mood for a fix. But now? They are making TV Shows. Like that Mad Men that I haven't watched yet, but all the characters are following me on Twitter (oh my dear sweet Pushing Daisies, would this have stopped your demise?).

Anyway. Breaking Bad is about a crazily overqualified high school chemistry teacher (like he was a researcher at Los Alamos) who finds out just before his 50th birthday that he has inoperable lung cancer. Oh. and he has a teenage son with cerebral palsy (and is allowed to be a typical normal shithead teenager and not "noble") and a wife who has just found herself to be unexpectedly pregnant. He also has a sister-in-law who is a klepto and a brother-in-law who is a DEA agent.

In order to make money for his family before his untimely demise, our hero (anti) decides to team up with a ne'er do well former student and cook meth.

I know. I said it was dark.

But the geek in me loves to see the science applied. and to see how one small mistake can make a huge difference. All I will say, is that fulminated mercury was fun.

On the Comcast, you can catch up with Breaking Bad On Demand. You'll enjoy it, despite yourself.

Oh, and if you are total nerd, you will love that George Smoot, Nobel Prize winning physicist on The Big Bang Theory. Apparently he watched the show, loved the science theme and ASKED TO BE ON!!! Who said that scientists don't have a sense of humor.

1 comment:

Marguerite Barrett said...

I've been watching Season 1 of Mad Men on DVD - love it! I'll have to try this one too.