Friday, November 06, 2009

Irony Is Dead

I think I haven mentioned before that my Father is somewhat to the political right of Attila the Hun. So, it should come as no surprise that he and my Mother love Glenn Beck.

Personally, I think Beck is an over-the-top clown but I have been surprised and disappointed to find members of my family who believe his schtick. I would have thought the girls giggling when my father started talking about teabaggers would have been enough to shame him out of it, but alas, this has not been the case.

For the record, my Father is a "birther" too. The irony of this is amazing as my Dad was born in Honolulu, Oahu in March of 1942. That would be 17 years before Hawaii was a State in the United States. Which technically questions whether my Father is a natural born U.S. citizen. And no, Dad was not born on the Pearl Harbor Naval Base, so he doesn't have this loophole to cling to. Even better? the first time I went to Hawaii, I was tasked with ordering a copy of my Father's birth certificate which he lost over the years. When it arrived I got to see it. It looks identical to the one presented by President of the United States, except of course, it says, Territory of Hawaii instead of State of Hawaii. Yes, my father denies the authenticity of a birth certificate that is virtually identical TO HIS OWN.

Needless to say, I found Jon Stewart's takeoff on Beck's conspiracy insanity HI-Sterical.

Enjoy, in case you missed it.



The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
The 11/3 Project
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorHealth Care Crisis

No comments: